There is no doubt that sliding glass doors add to the aesthetic appeal of your home, but there are some problems that you may face here. For example, you will notice that there are privacy issues faced here because the glass is usually translucent. Hence as an alternative, sliding glass door blinds are quite popular.
Things to consider when you choose the sliding glass door blinds
#1. Material of blinds
A lot of people love to go for wooden blinds or similar materials that don’t bend easily and are prone to cracking or breaking. Why because when you are trying to close the sliding gate, there is a chance that the blinds may get stuck in the process.
- Though it won’t necessarily break immediately, in the end, these sliding glass door blinds tend to have a shorter lifespan.
- Ideally, you should go for softer materials and fabrics, which could be cloth, PVC or other synthetic materials too. If using the harder or non-flexible materials then make sure that you go for vertical ones and keep them spaced in a way that they aren’t stuck in the door too often.
- Sure, it is a little extra effort from your end but the end result is that you will be able to use your sliding glass door blinds for years to come. In this reference, make use of vertical blinds from bamboo or other materials too. Do measure them to avoid them from being too long or short.
#2. Check door latches before you buy the sliding glass door blinds
The next thing you have to do to prolong the life of your sliding glass door blinds is making sure that the hinges and the latches on your sliding door are not interfering with your blind movement. A lot of people have sliding gates that feature hinges where the blinds tend to keep getting stuck, so even softer materials do tend to stick in them and sudden force can lead to wear and tear. The sturdier materials like wood may not have this issue though.
#3. Complete sliding glass door blinds
- There is a chance that you have blinds doubling as a sliding door. So, it could be wooden ones that feature slats or even something that has a glass forefront or a blend of both.
- In such cases, it is essential that you pick these from reputed places and the risks of breaking are minimal. Considering their make, do ensure that you are avoiding too much moisture in them.
- You should also clean them regularly and check their automated functions. It is important that you choose some professional agencies who undertake the yearly cleaning and maintenance of the blinds.
The sliding glass door blinds are the ideal home décor options for blocking out the sun rays and for allowing you to maintain your required privacy. Apart from this, they also keep your rooms cooler during summer, and hot during winter, reducing the number of monthly electricity bills.
Finally, different kinds of blinds feature different maintenance norms. So, if you are getting sliding glass door blinds that are made from a certain material or fabric, they would have an instruction manual available. Do read through the same and keep these instructions in mind. Remember this is not something that is too tricky or rocket science but with simple changes, you will be able to take better care of your blinds. On the whole, this would help you to prolong the life of your blinds and also help you prevent regular hassles. Hence, do keep these in mind before installing and using the same.