Defining sheet metal fabrication, it can be said that this process uses sheet metal for building metal structures and machines. This is a complex process which is done by bending and molding the sheet metals and including hollow sheets and metal shapes, pipes and metal fabrication is used to make small tools and even automatic machinery.
Process of Sheet metal fabrication
- This sheet metal fabrication involves the burning and cutting the sheet metal. For cutting the metal, special tools like band saws are used. These band saws have blades which are especially hardened in a specific manner thus being able to evenly cut the sheet metal.
- You also can make use of Chop saws, which are very much like the miter saws, the difference being is that these chop saws have a disk which is abrasive which is specifically made to cut sheet metals.
- Besides this, you find that cutting torches being used for sheet metal fabrication. These are capable of being able to cut large sections with little effort. The entire process of sheet metal fabrication consists of shearing, shaping, bending, cutting, stamping and crimping of sheet metals, which are then used to make other metallic products.
Welding in Sheet metal fabrication
- Once the sheet metal parts are done with, welding is used for tacking them into place. There are various techniques which are used for the welding so as to avoid any visual defects or warping.
- This can include welding in a manner which is staggered, use of a stout fixture, the metal being covered with sand during the process of cooling and special processes for straightening. This straightening during sheet metal fabrication can be accomplished with the help of Oxy-acetylene torch.
- Heat is applied in a linear, slow manner so that any warpage present can be removed. Finishing the process is done by sand blasting the metal and then painted and primed.
- Finally, the finishes touches are taken care of and placed in accordance to the specifications of the customer. The piece is shipped only after being inspected.
Some of the advantages of sheet metal fabrication are
Contractors and engineers gain a lot of benefits of this sheet metal fabrication. Lets us list some of them.
- Relationship of a high strength.
- Thinness and low in weight can be transported easily.
- Resistance to sun, corrosion and also moisture. With the different types of weather conditions this sheet metal fabrication seems to work perfect.
- Sheet metal fabrication ensure durability as they are able to withstand any sort of pressure while at the same time, these are malleable.
- Malleability as this sheet metal fabrication can be formed into any shape which is desired. This can provide unlimited amount of designs for structures and buildings.
- The plans and visions of engineers and architects can be materialized with the technology of sheet metal fabrication.
The process of coiling, cupping and embossing in sheet metal fabrication:
Coiling includes an important stage in sheet metal fabrication where coils are winded on a component of sheet metal, which is then used to develop edges. This edge can be formed by rolling or coiling a certain tool over a press. Formation of press can also be effected by cupping and embossing. Cupping refers to the transformation of a blank into the form of a cup. Embossing strengthens the metal and it can be applied on a product that is partly finished. With the use of latest technology, many of the processes used in sheet metal fabrication are done with the help of a computer. Saving is one big factor here as these sheet metals are inexpensive but at the same time there is no compromise on the quality. This works out beneficial not only to contractors and engineers. So you can opt for sheet metal fabrication as a business opportunity also. So please contact us here to know additional details about sheet metal fabrication.